After much thought and planning, you have decided that independent living at a retirement community is the right choice for you. Now, as you weigh your options, you find that there are numerous communities out there all competing for your valuable time and attention. It’s overwhelming.
The easiest way to narrow down your options when selecting your new community is to think about your independent living must-haves. What services, amenities and lifestyle considerations are non-negotiable? Here are some suggestions for prioritizing your checklist.
What Is an Independent Living Community?
The definition of “independent living” varies among senior living communities. At Friendship Village of South Hills, our independent living residences include apartments and carriage homes where you live just as independently as you would in a home you own. You also have access to a higher level of services, amenities and care than you would in a residential house or apartment on your own.
For a better idea of the type of independent living model we follow, explore this resource from myLifeSite, which further breaks down independent living.
What Do You Want in a Retirement Community?
The first question to ask yourself is, “what do I want in a retirement community?” At Friendship Village of South Hills, we strive to empower our independent living residents to remain independent for as long as possible.
We achieve this by providing residents with opportunities to explore their passions and hobbies while also maintaining an atmosphere that encourages socialization and self-betterment. Additionally, we offer a full continuum of care to our residents in the event that their care needs change.
While different communities approach independent living in different ways, we believe there are some specific questions you should consider when deciding where to spend your retirement.
Figuring Out Your Must-Haves for Independent Living
Your list of independent living must-haves might include location considerations, services and amenities, lifestyle preferences and health and wellness offerings. All of these elements work together to form a foundation of support that helps you retain your independence as you age.
Consider these questions when thinking about what’s important to you regarding the location of a community.
- What climate or region do you prefer to live in?
- Do you thrive in a city environment or do you prefer suburban life?
- How close is the community to your family and friends?
- Is there an airport nearby in case you want or need to travel?
- Are there desirable conveniences and attractions nearby?
Services & Amenities
What types of services and amenities do you want to have access to? Ask yourself:
- What are the on-site dining options? Do they cater to your dietary needs?
- What services are part of the monthly fee? Think maintenance, laundry, etc.
- What activities and amenities matter to you? Does the community offer these?
- Does the community offer transportation to off-site locations? How often?
When thinking about the lifestyle you crave, ask yourself:
- Does the community support your lifestyle and values?
- Do residents seem happy and active? Can you speak with the residents?
- How do team members and residents interact with one another?
- Are pets allowed in independent living residences?
Health & Wellness Offerings
- Does the community provide on-site health services? If so, what kinds?
- What on-site fitness and wellness options are available to residents?
- Does the community offer programs that support mental and spiritual wellness?
- What sort of outdoor exercise options are available to residents?
Use these questions to help formulate a list of your independent living must-haves. This will also help you think of the questions you want to ask when planning your community tour.
Schedule a Tour at Friendship Village of South Hills
Friendship Village of South Hills offers residents the ability to explore their passions in a warm, upscale community nestled in the rolling hills of Upper St. Clair, Pennsylvania. This setting provides an environment where residents can rejuvenate and recharge. Meanwhile, downtown Pittsburgh is only a short drive away for those looking to explore the city and its attractions.
The best way to experience all that Friendship Village of South Hills has to offer is to schedule a tour and see it for yourself. Contact us to take the first step toward finding your new community.