As a caregiver you want what’s best for your loved ones, even if that means making personal sacrifices to focus on their wellbeing. While this role can be very rewarding, it comes with its fair share of stress as well.
If you’re starting to notice that the stresses are outweighing the rewards and your own health is suffering, you may be experiencing caregiver burnout. Fortunately, with the respite care options from Friendship Village of South Hills, you can get temporary professional care in the Pittsburgh area that will provide much-needed time to recharge.
Am I Suffering From Caregiver Burnout?
When you’re caring for someone else, it’s understandable that your own well-being can take a back seat to their needs. Sometimes burning the candle at both ends is necessary, but as that continues to be the norm, the detrimental impacts can intensify. In fact, a recent study from the National Alliance for Caregiving and AARP found that of the 48 million caregivers caring for someone 18 or older, 23% said caregiving has made their own health worse. If you feel you’re approaching the point of burnout, these are some of the signs to watch for:
- Changes to sleep patterns
- Emotional and/or physical exhaustion
- Weight loss or weight gain
- No longer finding enjoyment in favorite activities
- Withdrawing from friends and family
- Feelings of depression, hopelessness or irritability
- Getting sick often or experiencing physical pain
Another related condition that may indicate your stress levels have reached a breaking point is compassion fatigue. This is characterized by a difficulty feeling empathy or compassion for those who are suffering.
Respite Care at Friendship Village of South Hills
With the numerous responsibilities that come with being a caregiver, it can often seem like taking a break just isn’t on the table. However, respite care is a temporary option that allows your loved one to get 24/7 professional care while you get valuable time to recharge and prioritize the needs in your own life.
At Friendship Village of South Hills, our health center team will listen to your needs and preferences to craft a respite care plan specific to you. Guests will enjoy access to all of the same benefits and amenities that our full-time residents do. This includes everything from our carefully crafted wellness programming to chef-prepared dining featuring the freshest seasonal ingredients.
As you consider respite care, our knowledgeable team members at Friendship Village of South Hills are available and ready to help in any way we can. Please don’t hesitate to contact us with any questions. Our priority is to serve families and individuals in the Pittsburgh area and enhance their quality of life.
How to Discuss Respite Care With Your Loved Ones
Whether you’ve been considering respite care for quite some time or just became aware of the option, starting the conversation with a loved one can feel like a big hill to climb. With the following strategies you can make the discussion with your parents or spouse seem more approachable:
- Open with honesty. One of the biggest barriers to starting the conversation is guilt about prioritizing your own needs. Remember, the loved ones you care for also care about you. Communicating openly and honestly puts everything on the table and provides a solid foundation to work from.
- Discuss details. The more information you have, the better. It always helps to come prepared with details related to accommodations, amenities, location and timelines. Reinforcing that respite care is temporary can make it more approachable.
- Focus on care. Many caregivers end up taking on the responsibility without any formal training or experience. With access to professionals, both you and your loved ones can learn strategies that will help everyone in the long run.
- Utilize support. If you have trusted friends or family that can join the conversation, multiple viewpoints can often be beneficial. Sometimes it just takes another perspective or different way of looking at things to help your parents or spouse understand where you’re coming from.
How to Overcome Obstacles to Respite Care
Even if you’ve had a productive discussion, it can sometimes feel like you’re spinning your wheels when it comes to actual progress. If it seems like you’re running into roadblock after roadblock, these options might help you overcome the obstacles:
- Take a visit. No matter how much you’ve read online, there’s nothing that can match first-hand experience. Visiting the community either in-person or through a virtual consultation can provide fresh perspective and help alleviate concerns.
- Outside support. It can feel lonely sometimes, but there are others who have been through this before. Many support networks can offer suggestions on how to approach the discussion around respite care. Alternatively, if your loved ones have peers who have positive respite care experiences, ask them to share.
- Patience is key. Everyone has to come to terms with change at their own pace. Although respite care is a temporary option, it can represent a big difference in the way things have been for a long time. Keep in mind that even incremental progress is still movement in the right direction.
At Friendship Village of South Hills, we pride ourselves on having a friendly and welcoming community. We’re here to support you as you explore the possibilities of respite care for your family and loved ones. For any questions, no matter how big or small, please don’t hesitate to contact our team.