Fall is upon us and it brings no shortage of fun festivities. At Friendship Village of South Hills, we’re looking forward to all that the changing of seasons brings.
The Beauty of Fall in Upper St. Clair
On the list of our favorite things about living in a Mid-Atlantic state like Pennsylvania, getting to experience four distinct seasons would have to be near the top. Autumn in St. Clair can be quite stunning. Fall serves as a transition from the hot, lazy days of summer into the holiday season and winter months ahead. From the start of the season in September until the end of the season in late November, we get to experience the days start to cool down and get shorter while the foliage erupts into a glorious blaze of color.
In addition to the changes in weather and our natural surroundings, fall also brings back-to-school season, the return of fall sports, and some very special holidays including Veteran’s Day, Halloween and Thanksgiving. Yes, there’s a change in the air and plenty to celebrate, so we’ve rounded up some of our favorite fall celebrations and activities below. What (and how!) you choose to celebrate is up to you.
Fall Festivities Around Pittsburgh
If you’re interested in getting out and about to take advantage of this new season, there are plenty of fabulous events happening around Pittsburgh this fall.
- Drive-in theaters. Drive-in theaters are making a comeback. And what better season to enjoy an outdoor movie than fall? With a number of drive-ins around the greater Pittsburgh area showing different films throughout the fall, you’re sure to find a movie that sparks your interest.
- Leaf peeping. Take in the peak of fall foliage at some of our best local parks and sites. Stick to spots in our neighborhood like Clair Park or the Upper St. Clair Waterfalls, or venture out a bit more and explore places like Schenley Park, Raccoon Creek State Park, the Cathedral of Learning or Fallingwater.
- Doors Open Pittsburgh. Spend a Saturday learning about the architecture of some of our city’s historic buildings as well as newer ones in this annual event.
- Wine tasting cruise. Enjoy a beautiful fall evening with a different point of view — from the river! Savor wines of Italy and the sights of downtown Pittsburgh during a wine tasting cruise.
- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra. The Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra is a delight any time of year, and this fall is no exception. With performances of “Beethoven’s Fourth Symphony,” Mendelssohn’s “Scottish,” Tchaikovsky’s Fiery “Little Russian,” Grieg’s Beloved Piano Concerto and an evening of swing music inspired by the Harlem Renaissance, the season is filled with music to tickle your ears.
- Light Up Night. Close out the fall season with Pittsburgh’s annual Light Up Night as we prepare to usher in the holiday season.
How to Celebrate Fall at Home
If you’d prefer to stick closer to home, there are still plenty of ways to make the most of the changing seasons.
- Foliage gazing. While there are plenty of beautiful places around the state to take in the changing autumn colors, there’s no need to get in a car at all. Take in the festive foliage with a simple stroll around the neighborhood.
- Football fun. For many, fall isn’t complete without football. Whether cheering on the Steelers or your favorite college team, an in-person watch party or virtual tailgate with friends and family is a fun way to celebrate one of the highlights of the season.
- Seasonal baking. If the turning seasons have you thinking about warm baked goods or the flavors of pumpkin spice, a little autumnal baking can help set the stage for a beautiful fall day. Share your treats with friends and family or keep them for yourself — we won’t tell!
- Festive decorating. If your home is your happy place, you can get it — and yourself — into the fall spirit with a little seasonal fluff and buff. From door wreaths and welcome mats, to throw blankets and pillows or a vase fall blooms, help usher in this season with small changes around your home that make you happy.
Celebrate Fall at Friendship Village of South Hills
Whether you hit the town or prefer to stay close to home, celebrate fall with a community of friends at Friendship Village of South Hills in Upper St. Clair, Pennsylvania. From the >seasonally inspired menus in our restaurants, to our on-site events and group outings, our residents will be making the most of fall all season long.
Schedule an in-person or virtual visit to learn more about life at Friendship Village of South Hills. Please fill out the form below or give us a call at 724-941-3100.